The name ‘Linmere’ comes from ‘Linmear’, which appears on a 1762 map of the area and means ‘field of lime trees’.
The Common Lime, or Linden Tree, is native to the British Isles, with the species towering up to 40m. Lime has a striking look and is often used for pianos, organs and even Morris-dancing sticks; in the 17th – 18th centuries, lime wood was intricately carved for commissions at Chatsworth, Blenheim Palace and Hampton Court.
The Farmstead, which will further preserve a link with the heritage of Houghton Regis, recreates the vernacular of the historic Houghton Regis Tithe Barns; with three barn-like structures positioned around a central courtyard. Read more about The Farmstead here.